Tuesday, April 30, 2024

In the News: 1910s - 1930s

    Genealogy is among my hobbies. I have worked on my family tree for over 30 years now. I haven’t found anyone particularly famous or distinguished in my family tree. Nevertheless, I learned through my genealogical research that every person and every place has a story.

     Here in Fairfax, we are bordered by the City of Cincinnati and the Village of Mariemont. The area that became Cincinnati was settled in 1788. Many organizations and individuals have preserved and compiled the city’s history. Mariemont also celebrates its history and most of us who have lived in this area for very long can recite at least the basics facts about Mary Emery founding her planned community.

     But what about Fairfax? As a lifelong resident, a few years ago I couldn’t tell you very much about the history of this village. We had to have a history, right? I decided to begin downloading newspaper articles from the Cincinnati & Hamilton County Public Library website and looking for other documentation to use to compose a blog about Fairfax history. I was helped along by many current and former Fairfax residents who were kind enough to give, loan, or direct me to other resources and to share their memories.

     At this point, I still have hundreds of documents I haven’t referenced in a blog article. I think there are still stories to be told. However, I feel that I don’t have enough documentation on any one subject to continue publishing a monthly article.

     So, for the next three months, I will publish some miscellaneous newspaper articles and advertisements from the 1910s through the 1970s about people, businesses, and happenings in the Village of Fairfax. After that, I will not continue publishing monthly articles. 

     I am.not quite retiring the blog though. As I am able to acquire resources, I will write additional articles. If you have ideas (and documentation) for an article, please contact me at fairfaxohiohistory@gmail.com. Thank you for reading. Now, lets take a look back at Fairfax in the 1910s through the 1930s.


The Linnemann family were among the earliest residents of the area now known as Fairfax. They lived near what is now the Columbia Parkway-Wooster Pike-Meadowlark Lane intersection.
Cincinnati Enquirer, August 20, 1912

An advertisement from the early to mid 1910s for lots for sale in the new Fairfax Subdivision.
Source not known.

Another ad for lots for sale in Fairfax.
Cincinnati Enquirer, October 2, 1915

Red Bank was a community that pre-dated Fairfax. It went from the vicinity of the current Southern Avenue westward toward Linwood. The Linnemann residence was located in Red Bank.
Cincinnati Enquirer, February 25, 1917

Problems with the Little Duck Creek go back over 100 years.
(Fairfax Avenue was later renamed Simpson.)
Cincinnati Post, April 30, 1925

Unfortunately, I found no subsequent articles to clarify whether it was the dogs or the chickens that trespassed. By the way, Carlton was misspelled "Curzon" in this article.
Cincinnati Times-Star, October 18, 1928

A sad story from the days when the Red Bank area was the home to gravel operations.
Cincinnati Enquirer, January 11, 1929

Apparently, soccer was a thing in this area decades before its surge in popularity during the 1970s.
Cincinnati Post, December 5, 1930

Cincinnati Enquirer, August 5, 1934

For those of you who, like me, don't know, a lavalliere is a piece of jewelry consisting of a pendant on a necklace.
Cincinnati Enquirer, September 4, 1934

The Jungle Garden later became known as the Fairfax Club or Tavern, one of the gambling hotspots in the Greater Cincinnati area.
Cincinnati Post, August 23, 1935

Who knew we had "one of the country's best volleyball teams" here?
Cincinnati Post, March 26, 1937

Cincinnati Post, June 7, 1937

Awww . . . "Eeyore Has a Birthday" was probably a cute little play.
March 9, 1938

Cincinnati Enquirer, December 21, 1938

Cincinnati Post, July 26, 1939


No comments:

Post a Comment